Saturday, January 15, 2011

The birth story.

FINALLY...I FINISHED! I know most people won't care much about all of this, but I don't want to forget a single detail of Annie Louise's birth, so I am going to write about it!

Due Date - September 8th, 2010

Well, I woke up around 4 a.m. on the morning of my due date because I was having some irregular contractions...FINALLY! Never before had I been so excited to be in some pain! Ha! We had a doctor's appointment that morning, so we got ready (with lots of nervous jitters). When we got to the doctor's office, they hooked me up to a fetal/contraction monitor - they told me to relax and see what happens. So, B and I had a "talk" with Annie Louise - we told her to start doing her thing....and BAM! A BIG contraction popped up on the monitor. And then, there were a few more! I was hooked up to the monitor for about 45 minutes, and it was able to record several more contractions, and Annie Louise's heartrate looked great! My doctor examined me, and guess what? Not really disappointed! She did a few other things to help "jump start" labor, and then she told us she wanted us to have an ultrasound to make sure that the amniotic fluid was okay. If the ultrasound came back okay, then we would come back for another appointment on Friday. If not, we would be admitted for induction. When the ultrasound tech got a good, clear picture, the first thing she said was, "This baby has a TON of hair!" And sure enough, you could see all of these little "lines" of hair just floating was the cutest thing. I definitely shed a few tears! Her ultrasound came back perfectly, so our doctor told us to come back on Friday. She told us if my water broke, or if I started having contractions 5 minutes or less apart for about an hour, then to come on to the hospital. So, we went home!

Later that night, I started having major contractions, and I couldn't sleep. I got a pad, pen and B's stopwatch. And I timed all of my contractions and wrote them down....while watching episode after episode of Gilmore Girls :) They got to be about 7 minutes apart, but never closer than that. I really only got a couple hours of sleep that night, which looking back, wasn't such a good idea, I should have gotten my sleep! Duh!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

B got up for work that morning, and I told him to keep his phone close by, because today could really be the day. I alerted most of our family and friends, and made my spot on the couch for the day. My mom came over later that afternoon, and we decided to make a big meal for that night. By then, my contractions had sort of slowed down to 10 minutes apart. We went to the grocery store and actually came home and snapped some beans! Ha! Well, my dad and B got to the house to eat, and no sooner did I get a few bites in, that the contractions started speeding up. I let everyone else eat while I did some "laps" around the house. B followed me with the stopwatch, and sure enough, they were between 3-4 minutes apart. We timed them for an hour, and then loaded up the car! The time was here...HOPEFULLY! My mom rode with us to the hospital, and I don't think any of us said anything. I prayed the whole time that I would be dilated so they would admit me. We got to the hospital sometime between 8 and 9 p.m. - a nurse checked me into triage and did an examination. Then, she said those magic words, "You are dilated to a 4, so we are going to keep you!" I let out a big, ole PRAISE JESUS! (no lie) - and my mom and B began the phone tree calling/texting. They put me into a delivery room and got me all set up. The contractions were coming on pretty strong still, and since I hadn't slept for the past couple of nights, I discussed getting the epidural with my nurse. I had really wanted to go natural with the labor, but after basically 2 nights of no sleep and lots of labor pains, I wanted to be prepared in case I did decide to get the epidural. We decided to wait for a while, and I tried to work through contractions.

Friday, September 10th, 2010
So, my dad had been saying since I was given my due date of September 8th, that Annie Louise was going to come on his birthday - September 10th. I fought and fought him on this - I wanted my sweet baby girl to have her own birthday, plus I just figured she would come early, because I'm always early. So, my mom and I joked in the delivery room as the time got closer and closer to midnight, and there was still no baby.

Anyways, I got my epidural sometime after 2 a.m., because the anesthesiologist was going to take a nap (I could tell a whole story on this...), and they didn't know how long it would be until I could get it. It wasn't bad at all, I was prepared for it - she actually had to do it a couple of times because she couldn't get it just right. B was holding my shoulders, and when they finally got it in okay, he stood up, and went WHITE. Here I am with this huge needle in my back, and B is laid up on the couch with 3 or 4 nurses tending to him, giving him cokes and crackers. What a joke! Ha! After I got the epidural, I tried to rest some. I may have slept for an hour or two, when I woke up in the early morning hours and looked down at my left dead leg. That's right, I could not move my left leg. It looked like a huge elephant leg! Thus began the turn the "epidural off, turn the epidural on" fiasco. And not to be a pitiful baby, but I think I threw up everything that was in my stomach that morning, which was not fun. Thank the Lord for my sweet momma, who just took such good care of me.

I wasn't progressing much after that, I think I was dilated to around a 6 or so, and man, I was getting tired. I couldn't get comfortable because of said "elephant leg," and I was just ready to get this show on the road. My nurse let me know that my doctor would be in sometime in the early morning to check on me - most likely to break my water and start pitocin. Well, we waited and waited and waited some more for my doctor. Turns out she had a c-section and other things pop up, so I had to wait. She finally came in sometime between 9-10 a.m., broke my water and started pitocin.

By this time, I had a NEW nurse, and I was absolutely starving. Everyone kept saying "she's probably going to be here by lunchtime!" And all I could think about was FOOD!!!! Time kept going by, and they kept messing with the epidural (I was worried I wouldn't be able to push since I couldn't even move my leg). I turned over and laid on my right side for a bit, hoping to speed things up. Nothing. I could feel the contractions getting stronger, but I was only around a 7 when my nurse would check me. So, I stayed on my right side for a bit, and then I switched to my left side. And this is where the action begins.

MAN OH MAN. I could feel E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!!! I didn't have any back labor until this point. And I thought I was dying. I cried and cried. I told B and my mom that I never wanted to do this again. I yelled at my sister when she came in the delivery room to tell me (with the sweetest look on her face) that my granny and papa were there! This was my reaction - "Well isn't that just GREAT!" I felt bad because so many of my family members were there, and they had been there for HOURS - waiting on me. Lots of pressure for a gal.

Anyways, I knew it was time. I wanted to push and push RIGHT NOW. So, we called for the nurse - more like I called out in severe pain and anguish for her. She came and checked me and....I WAS A 10!!!!!! Again, I think I let out a big "PRAISE JESUS!"

I was crying, my mom was crying and B was crying. We were all exhausted and ready to meet this baby girl.

My nurse called my doctor to let her know that I was ready to push. There was a nursing student with my nurse that day, so she held my left leg, mom held the "dead leg," (mom later told me that the next day, her arm hurt so badly from holding my 50 lb. leg! ha!) and B stayed up by my head to give me support. I started pushing at 12:52. It was the hardest I have ever worked for something. I was so focused on my baby - I was only concentrating on her. There was so much going on around me, but I didn't even notice. Right when my doctor arrived, I knew I was getting close. I never knew I would push for so long, and everyone around me seemed to be focusing on other things - like my husband's hair.... "HELLO? I don't care if my husband looks like JFK, Jr.! Can I push or not!?!???"

At 2:01 p.m., our Annie Louise came out - with her hand by her head, no less! It was absolutely the most beautiful moment of my life. She made one little cry when she came out, and she was just so quiet after that. They placed her on my chest, and I will still remember those big, eyes looking up at me, and I was just a blubbering mess!

They took her away to do all the measurements and whatnot, and I was just DYING to know how much she weighed. My doctor guessed around 8 pounds, and we all were so shocked when they said nine pounds, two ounces!

Holy moly! I could NOT believe I just delivered a nine pound baby! No wonder it took so long! In fact, her measurements were the exact same as my nephew's - how crazy!

I know I am biased, but in those first few moments, all I could think about was how beautiful she was, how perfect she was, how blessed I was....

After going through a pregnancy, labor and delivery, I feel like I have joined some special club! I know there are a lot of women out there that are waiting to join "the club", and let me tell you, do not give up. God is faithful. The end. There were many days when I would just cry out to God and beg Him for a baby. And He knew it. I would like to say a special prayer for all of you who are waiting on it a baby, or a husband or a job, whatever.

Don't lose your faith! Don't lose your hope! I will post this verse from Isaiah again because I love it so much....

"O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago" - Isaiah 25:1


  1. I love it Lena!!! I am so happy for you and your sweet family!

  2. Lena, this post had me crying! Such a sweet story, and I know it'll be awesome one day for Annie to read. So happy for you and your sweet family!