Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Make your own "Hey Y'all" frame!

I don't know what it is about summer, but I always get in a serious crafting mood.  

It's intense, y'all!

I have been loving all the frame wreaths that are making their way around pinterest (follow me HERE).  I knew I had a few frames leftover from Annie Louise's birthday party (we used them as photo booth props), so I began thinking about what I wanted mine to look like.

And crafting and creating I went...I am so excited to show the almost complete product!



I used a large turquoise blue frame, created a paper bunting banner and added tissue paper flowers.  I'm still deciding if I want to add some yellow gingham ribbon to it, but I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it yet, so I'm still undecided.


Here are the basic steps I did to make my frame - it was super easy (I'm horrible with taking pictures during the creating, so any questions you have, feel free to ask):
1. Find a frame & take back and glass off.  Spray paint to match your decor.

2. Decide what you want your bunting to say - mine says "hey y'all" so I knew I would need 8 pieces of coordinating paper.

3. Take a scrap piece of paper, fold in half and draw a triangle (make the triangle the appropriate size to fit your frame).  Cut the triangle out - when you open it, it will look like a diamond.

4. Trace and cut your pattern onto each sheet of paper.  I used a sharpie to write "hey y'all" on each piece.

5. Use string or twine to hang the bunting (put the twine in the middle of the triangles after it is folded).  I used a glue stick to keep the twine in place and to hold the paper together.  Hot glue the bunting into place.

6. You can use silk flowers to embellish it or make your own tissue paper flowers.  I made the tissue paper flowers by taking a couple of pieces of tissue paper, folding it until it was in a small square.  Cut a flower shape out of it (scalloped around the edges).  Staple once in the middle to hold all the pieces together and fluff.  Super easy and cute!

7. Hot glue the flowers on the frame as you like.  I stuck a small piece of cardboard in the corner so that I could glue the flowers to something stable.

8. YOU'RE FINISHED!  Enjoy!


I'm definitely going to make another one of these to match Annie Louise's upcoming barnyard bash - I'm thinking of using a bright red frame I have and adding lots of gingham paper for the bunting!  


An easy project that can be completed in an hour or so!  I can't wait to find a spot for it and enjoy it all summer!

Are you making anything special this summer?  Share away!  I'm always looking for new projects!

Have a great day, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment