Thursday, July 26, 2012

A letter to myself...from a good day.


Someone told me to use my writing as a way to deal with the many emotions I feel as a wife and mother.  I carry around a composition notebook to record thoughts, prayers, ramblings and letters to myself.  
Yes, letters to myself.  
I highly recommend you do this exercise, too.  On a good day, write a letter to yourself - something you can read when you're having a not-so-great day.  You'll feel better, promise.
Here's my letter I wrote to myself recently:

Dear tired, defeated & worn out Lena – 
I’m writing you today from a good day.  A day when things make sense and all seems right in the world.  A day when you have more smiles than tears.  A day where you have a little pep in your step.
I know that I all days aren’t like this day.  I know you have lots of days when you feel exhausted and guilty.  But I’m here to tell you something…are you listening?
You’re doing a good job.
Yes, you heard me.  You’re doing a good job.  You don't believe me, do you?
You're doing better than good…you’re doing a great job.  
“How?” you ask…let me just tell you:
  1. You have a daughter that lights up when you enter the room and loves you to the moon and back.
  2. You have a husband who adores you and says you are the best thing that ever happened to him.
Not to mention you have an extended family that rocks your socks off, a beautiful home, a fridge full of food and a job that provides for your family in more ways than one.
I know you feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders right now, but I’m here to tell you – you’re not alone in this journey.  
The Lord is your strength and your song; He has given you victory.  - psalm 118:14
Remember this today – cling to it.  What more do you need?
Each day is a gift, mama, even the hard ones.  
You'll get through this - the good days always outnumber the bad ones.
sincerely,
having-a-good-day-Lena

2 comments: