Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Prayer request for Katelyn.

If you have been following me on twitter or facebook, you know that I just recently found out that one of my closest sorority sisters from college just found out she has cancer. 

Let me tell you a little bit about this amazing woman that I’m blessed to call a friend.

Katelyn and I met when we both joined the same sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, in 2002.  We were just 2 new “alphas” (or new members) in a sea of tons of young women.  I will never forget really getting to know her at our new member retreat.  I couldn’t decide if I loved her or hated her.  By the end of the weekend, I loved her with every single bone in my body.  She’s hilarious.  And sarcastic.  And poetic.  And kind.  Everything that a friend (and sister) should be.

Because our last names started with the same initial, we always sat beside each other in our weekly sorority meetings.  We laughed about what stupid stuff we did that weekend.  We talked about how we were stressed out or “over” everything.  And during my senior year, when I had my special candlelight to announce my engagement to B, Katelyn held my engagement ring for me until it was over. 

When I think back on my college years, a lot of my most cherished memories involve her.

Even after college, we remained close.  Although we do not live in the same area of the state, we would always catch up at wedding showers and weddings for our ADPi sisters.  I will never forget seeing her at a wedding one summer, and she told me she had just recently had a miscarriage.   My heart broke for her, as I knew how desperately she wanted to be a mother. 

But then, a few months later, I rejoiced with her when she revealed that she was pregnant again. 

And when B and I lost our baby in August of 2009, she was one of the first people that I called because I knew she would know the exact words to say.  And she did.  Everything that she told me, I now pass on to my other friends that have experienced loss through miscarriage.  That’s how amazing and comforting her words were to me.

I called her the day I went to the doctor for my pregnancy confirmation with our Annie Louise.  I knew right then and there, she would be my prayer warrior.

Fast forward 2 years, Katelyn is now mama to Avery (2) and sweet Owen (6 weeks).  And she has cancer.
I wish I could say something profound here, but the words aren’t there.  Katelyn is a fighter in every sense of the word, and I know she will beat this. 
She began her first chemo treatment on Monday, and chemo should last about 12 weeks.  I know many of you have been praying for her already and have asked for updates.  

Here are specific ways you can pray for Katelyn:
-She has developed anemia – please pray that this will cease.  Please pray for her strength as well, as she has had 6 blood transfusions since March 1st.

-A very sad side effect of the chemotherapy is that no one can come in contact with any bodily fluids – kisses, tears, sweat, anything – this means very limited cuddles for the next 3 months.  Can you imagine not being able to hold your sweet babies whenever you pleased?  Please pray that some modified cuddles (with a blanket barrier) will work – this is something we can all pray for specifically.

- Please pray for her babies and family – seeing someone they love so much in this type of situation is not easy for anyone.  Please pray that they can feel God’s everlasting love around them, holding them up.

If you feel led to give to Katelyn and her family in another way beside prayer, please email me at thewarnockfamily@yahoo.com – we have a running list of needs for her family, and I would be happy to pass that information on to you.  Please continue to pray for my sweet friend, I know she can feel them!

This is me with Katelyn last spring at our friend, Mandie's wedding shower - our girls FINALLY get to meet!

 “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the Earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be wear, and young men shall fall exhausted, but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”                
- Isaiah 40:28-31

2 comments:

  1. Praying, Lena! I can't imagine what Katelyn and her family are going through. She is lifted up and I know God hears our cries for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This breaks my heart. Barrier contact. I can't imagine!!! I will be praying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete